Friday, April 10, 2009

Always on the Sunny Side

This is a mini playlist, perhaps to be expanded, of songs that are so happy that they are actually sad. This could mean that they are masking some kind of desperation. It could also mean that they are rally songs sung from a place of pain or trial.

June Carter Cash, "Keep on the Sunny Side"

I’ve been obsessed with this song since it came out last year, on June’s final album. I love how it sounds like an old person, unabashedly. You can hear her struggling with the unavoidable limitations of her voice, missing notes. But, of course, she persists. Her voice has a quality I don’t recall hearing anywhere, except maybe on some old folk records—but this is crystal clear. I just love that it doesn’t mask the reality of being really old. I also love when Johnny comes in for the harmonies on the choruses; they seem like two elderly soldiers to me.


Darlene Love, "Chapel of Love"

“And we’ll never be lonely anymore.” Good luck with that.

This version has a slower tempo than the more famous one by the Dixie Cups, which enriches the sad undertone. I like this one better.


Barbara Harris, "It Don't Worry Me"

The climactic song in one of my favorite films, Robert Altman’s Nashville, and it was written by actor Keith Carradine. It’s a song that comes from a place of political trauma, very much of the Watergate era. But it could have applied equally well or better in the GWB era. “You may say that I ain’t free, but it don't worry me. . . "

Here are the songs.

No comments: